My Orangutan Encounter

The rain forest of Borneo, Malaysia is home to Orangutans. Orangutans are large gentle creatures and you will be surprised to know 98% of their DNA matches with us humans. (Probably the other 2% is that of violent streak which is present in humans!!! You can read more about them here.) Poachers target these gentle animals, often killing the mother to catch the baby orangutans and later sell them as pets. The rainforest areas too have been declining due to ever increasing demand for timber. Net result the orangutans are facing extinction within next 10 years.At ShangriLa, where we stayed for 3 days, I witnessed the daily interaction of an orangutan with his caretaker. The Rasa Ria Resort of ShangriLa has been working for rehabilitation of these orangutans. They bring in orphaned, injured orangutans. These precious creatures are looked after well, made fit to face tough jungle life and are then released to where they originally belonged.

There was a video show for all visitors showing the various stages of the orangutan’s recovery. It was interesting to see how from the day of their arrival they are taken care. Trained vets treat their injuries if any and diet plan made meticulously. Finally when the orangutans are completely okay they are let off to jungles. After a short nature walk we were taken to the feeding area of the orangutan. The resort has 2 of them. We heard the caretaker calling out to the orangutan. Moments passed, we were straining ourselves and looking around among the branches to spot it. It took a while for the orangutan to come!

Ssshhh… all went hush hush, lest we disturb him. He came swinging in the branches. I was seeing one at such a close distance for the first time. Got a good position among the crowd, I managed to take a short video of it. Hope you will enjoy seeing him.

 

.

.

.

.

.

Our World Tuesday

Saturday’s Critters 

Faces of India - 212
Faces of India - 211

31 Responses to “My Orangutan Encounter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *