Internet.org Comes to India
Freenet can be used from simple high school study help to organized community work. It can build awareness, involve and include people from various walks of life, make progress on various fronts provided it is used wisely and effectively. The biggest positive factor of this tool is the anonymity it provides to the user. Youngsters can use the medium to chat freely without fear of censorship. The wide range of access possible is another big plus of this.
Here are a few ways how Internet can be a useful tool for youth in general:
- Right from high school level, the students can be guided to use this ‘apps’ for easy reference to study material which can help in improving scores in examinations. Usage of modern tools inspires learning and builds enthusiasm in young minds. Students from financially weaker sections can benefit a lot.
- The visual medium of teaching can help ‘hearing impaired’ students. This can help them gain confidence and to be at par with other normal students.
- In matters of sex where the adolescents often shy away from clearing doubts and difficulties, free internet access can be a boon. This can also be a means to maintain healthy offline relationships in social networking sites.
- Online forums like blogs, web pages, facebook pages can help maintain a log of events and activities in life and in their fields of expertise. This has a positive effect on their well being and can help them excel in their fields. Some have even gone on to become full fledged authors.
- The high number of search for online solutions to health problems is a good indicator that today’s youth is more health conscious. A conservative girl or woman is likely to seek opinion about the lump in her breast if she knows there is more privacy in this online approach. They would prefer this method over confiding in her friends and relatives.
- For adolescents stepping into their adult life, internet can be used as a powerful tool to warn them of the risks of obesity, unhealthy food, smoking, drugs, problems of addiction and risky sexual behavior. Counseling sessions for various disorders can be done with the help of net.
A simple example of use will be for better living conditions in rural areas. Freenet can be a platform to connect rural youths, help them discuss the problems being faced, get ideas from other social media groups to implement in their area. It can be thus used for welfare and betterment of the community.